Sunday, August 22, 2010

Should I ask my doctor to check for PCOS?

Today, as I went through life help forums, I learned of PCOS. I'd never heard of it before, and every time I learn of a medical condition I don't know about, I search it. So as I was reading about PCOS, I noticed that the signs and symptoms were eerily familiar to many problems I face. My periods used to come more frequently than they should have, and though they're beginning to even out now, the amount of bleeding alternates from light to extremely heavy. I have a bad acne problem, dark patches on my neck (acanthosis nigricans), and excess body hair on my chest, stomach, face, and other areas. I'm obese and have trouble losing weight with no problem gaining it. Also, I have high LDL levels and low HDL, and dandruff. All of these are mentioned under symptoms. :(


Is this enough for me to ask my doctor to test for PCOS? Also, what can you tell me about it, because I'm really worried about this. I'm probably just being paranoid, right? I'm sixteen, by the way.

Should I ask my doctor to check for PCOS?
Of course you can ask your doctor. If you're not sure if you need a test, just mention the symptoms to your doctor and you can decide together whether you should have one done.


It can't hurt to talk with your doctor about things you're unsure about.


About researching medical conditions on the internet, be careful. First of all, you don't want to make yourself too paranoid. Second, sometimes it leads you to self-diagnose yourself and you could make a lot of mistakes. You can either overestimate or underestimate the issue, and neither one of those is good. So don't worry, and talk with a doctor.
Reply:being that you do get your period you prob do NOT have pcos, but check with your doctor and have them do a ultrasound to confirm....


No comments:

Post a Comment